Google Core Update (June)
Page Experience Update (June)
- Mobile Friendliness -- Google's algorithm favors pages with responsive web design, which fluently reshapes the user's orientation and screen size without tapping or zooming.
- Safe Browsing -- Google emphasizes user safety by weeding out content that involves social engineering, phishing, and other deceptive strategies.
- HTTPS/SSL -- Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) ensures users have a safe browsing experience, incentivizing sites to use HTTPS.
- Intrusive Interstitials -- Pop-ups, banners, paywalls, etc. can hinder a user's experience and excessive use of these interstitials can lead to massive SERP drops.
- *Loading Speed (LCP) -- Though page speed has been an existing Google ranking factor for a while, it's becoming more important than ever. Measured by Largest Contentful Paint, this new signal focuses on the largest element on a page and measures its total loading time.
- *Interactivity (FID) -- First Input Delay is a measure of site responsiveness. This calculates the time a user engages (clicks, swipes, etc.) with a page to the time when the browser starts processing event responses.
- *Visual Stability (CLS) -- Cumulative Layout Shift pays attention to sudden text movements and elements loading and shifting over other elements on a web page.
In order to receive a "Good" Core Web Vitals score, 75% of page loads need an LCP of 2.5 seconds or faster, an FID of 100 milliseconds or faster, and a CLS score of 0.1 or less.
Google Core Update (July)
- Does the content seem to be serving the genuine interests of visitors to the site or does it seem to exist solely by someone attempting to guess what might rank well in search engines?
- Does the content provide a substantial, complete, or comprehensive description of the topic?
- Does the content provide original information, reporting, research, or analysis?
- Does the content provide insightful analysis or interesting information that is beyond obvious?
- Does the headline provide a descriptive, helpful summary of the content?
- Is this the sort of page you’d want to bookmark, recommend, or share with a friend?
- Would you expect to see this content in a printed magazine, encyclopedia, or book?
- Is the content free from easily verified factual errors?
- Is the content free from spelling or stylistic issues?
- Does the content display well for mobile devices?
- Does the content provide substantial value when compared to other pages in SERPs?
How Corporate Communications Can Help
Since we're still in the early stages of the summer updates, it might take a while to see the full impact of these algorithm changes. But it's important to be aware, remain vigilant, and pay attention to avoid massive ranking dips. After a while, if your site was hit by a core update, it's best to take a step back and address your overall digital strategy with some professional help.
Our team of digital experts can help with the following:
- Implement and analyze Google Analytics and Google Search Console
- Monitor keyword positioning and tracking
- Improve the quality of your site's content
- Address any SEO mistakes/issues
- Fully optimize your website through SEO services
- Provide additional reporting, research, and analysis
We're here to stay on top of any Google updates and provide strategic Search Engine Optimization solutions that will help your business increase rank, gain visibility, and grow. Let us know how we can help!